Candidates seeking admission to Joint MTech/MCP-PhD Programme of the Institute should have the following academic qualification.
For institutes a) awarding degree based on aggregate marks secured in all years of the qualifying degree OR b) awarding degree based on aggregate marks secured in the final two semesters or final year of the qualifying degree:
GE/OBC: Minimum of 60% marks (OR a CGPA of 6.5 on a 10 point scale)
SC/ST/PD: Minimum of 55% marks (OR a CGPA of 6.0 on a 10 point scale)
· For both cases, If the CGPA is on a different scale than 10.0, the eligibility of the candidates will be calculated corresponding to the equivalence stated above.
In case of joint MCP-PhD : (i) NET - Qualified applicants with Fellowship having MA or MSc. Degree in Economics, Sociology or Geography having studied Mathematics at the higher secondary level are eligible to join MCP-PhD Programme, (ii).Applicant with Master's Degree in Science subject should have 60% or above (55% marks or equivalent CGPA for Master's degree holders in Arts or Social Science subjects).
Admission based on GATE score only: For all the specializations in the departments AE, AG, CE, CH, CORAL, CR, CS, EC, MA, ME, MI, MS, MT, NA, RE, SIT, SMST, PH, WR, the admission will be directltly based on GATE 2012 or GATE 2013 score. Candidates opting for any specialization in these departments need not appear for any personal interview.
Admission based on GATE score and Personal Interview: For all the specializations in the departments AR, AT, BT, CET, EE, GG, ID, IM, RT, the admission is based on GATE 2012 or GATE 2013 score and an interview. GATE score and interview score will have 70% and 30% weightage respectively. Personal interview will be held to test the following: (a) Motivation and aptitude for the programme (b) Suitability for the department/school/centre (c) Skills in basic science, engineering, and relevant areas.
Important Note: A candidate who fails to appear for the personal interview will not be considered for admission.
Personal interviews will be conducted at IIT Kharagpur.
Students in the two-year MTech/MCP Programme receive an assistantship of Rs. 8000 per month. Students permitted to continue with the PhD Programme will receive an additional assistantship of Rs. 4000 per month in the second year of their study and Rs. 18000 per month after enrolment for PhD. However, the additional assistantship will be paid retrospectively after the PhD registration.
The application fee is Rs. 500 for General/OBC and Rs. 250 for SC/ST/PD candidates to be paid through a Demand Draft drawn in favour of IIT Kharagpur on any nationalised bank payable at Kharagpur, West Bengal. Female candidates are exempted from payment of application fees.
- Admission to reserved category candidates will be done as per Government of India notification.
- Applicants must be in good health. In case of any discrepancy found in the certificate of medical fitness to be submitted during registration, the opinion of the Institute Medical Officer will be final.
- Persons with Physical Disability (PD) seeking admission to various postgraduate programmes are to appear before a medical board on or before October 31, 2013 at IIT Kharagpur. The decision of the Medical Board is final and binding to the candidate.
- Selection of applicants whose results in the qualifying degree examination are yet to be declared will be provisional, subject to the condition that all parts of the examination must be completed in all respects before the date of joining the Institute and the marks sheet/certificate as evidence of passing the qualifying examination to be submitted latest by 31 October, 2013.
- B. Tech students graduated / graduating from IITs in the year 2012 and 2013 having a CGPA 8.00 or above (out of 10) are eligible for direct admission without having to appear in either GATE or personal interview. Interested candidates may directly send an application on plain paper with DD and necessary documents to the Chairman, GATE, IIT Kharagpur.
- Students in the two-year MTech/MCP Programme receive an assistantship of Rs. 8000 per month. Students permitted to continue with the PhD Programme will receive an additional assistantship of Rs. 4000 per month in the second year of their study and Rs. 18000 per month after enrolment for PhD. However, the additional assistantship will be paid retrospectively after the PhD registration.
- An applicant admitted to a postgraduate programme with assistantship will not be eligible for admission with assistantship in any other programme at this institute or any other Institution on the basis of the same GATE scorecard.
- Some Scholarships/fellowships are also available to the selected applicants by GE, DAE, DRDO, and DAAD (Germany).